Saturday 11 February 2017

Bridesmaid dresses // 1950's inspired.

Back in August last year, a good friend of mine was planning her wedding. We were discussing bridesmaid dresses and scrolling through Pinterest, when she suddenly turned to me with a very big smile and said something along the lines of "You sew, don't you?".

So obviously, I said yes.

Cut to a year later, I'm surrounded by green taffeta and about 20 metres worth of hem, which I'm sewing by hand, and I'm wondering why on earth I agreed to make the bridesmaid dresses for the wedding that's taking place in a few weeks.

BUT despite the achey back, the pin pricked fingers and the stress, I did it! I made five (FIVE) bridesmaid dressed from scratch! And I couldn't have been happier that I had said yes.

The bridal party
The bride picked out the pattern - Butterick 6094 - to match her beautiful 1950s tea-length lace wedding dress, the colours to match the theme, and then I helped to pick out some fabric. I could only fit the dresses once before the big day, so I made them up in generous sizes (better safe than sorry!) and took them in where necessary. Pink net petticoats helped to create the flattering silhouette, and add a pop of colour with each step.

The back // All lined up, just need a press!
The front // Again, in need of a press






It was a real honour to be part of such a beautiful day, and to have been one of the people that helped to make it happen. There's nothing quite like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts!