Thursday 4 April 2013

"To Joan, from Marie. Oct 27th 1915"



I found this pretty little edition of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, from 1914 I think, in a charity shop a few weeks back and have only now remembered I took a few photos, so I thought you might like to see.


I certainly have a thing for old books, especially the classics that are still published today, as fascinating as out of print books may be. I mean, it just shows that a good story really can withstand time.

So, I spotted this one thanks to it's gorgeous spine, picked it from the shelf, opened it up, and look -


A personal message reading "To Joan, from Marie. Oct 27th 1915"

Safe to say, I needed no further encouragement to make a purchase.

It was when I was having a quick look through later that day that I discovered the back pages to be a 'List of the series' including prices! Yeah, I'm a bit of a sucker for that too.


I have bought so many books lately, but haven't been reading much due to a sudden increase in my musical soundtracks library, ahem, so my 'to read' list is more of a who's who of literature at present, which is something I intend to take care of!

1 comment:

  1. That book is beautiful, I always love finding inscriptions in books from secondhand shops, it shows that the book has had a life and was treasured by someone. Like you say, it's lovely to see that a good story is still being published and enjoyed 100 years later.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts!