Saturday 12 March 2016

The first corset || Repost

I wrote this post a (long) while back, and for some reason, blogger decided to delete it. I've just discovered it saved somewhere, and so I thought I'd repost it, for documentation purposes at the very least. Oh, how the temptations to make changes to this post as I was typing it up were strong, but I did manage to stop myself!

///

Once a week, I have the privilege to sit and sew away, making Edwardian costumes at a National Trust property, Polesden Lacey. My last completed project, was a corset.


There's just something about corsets I've always had a particular interest for. The look, the feel, the construction, the purpose. How undergarments really were the foundation to clothing throughout history, changing the silhouette to cater to the day's trends.

As this was my first corset, it's made from calico; a cheap fabric, but sturdy enough to wear. I also ended up trimming it with some nice grosgrain ribbon, just to add a little something and to satisfy my 'pretty things' needs. It's boned with both spiral (flexi) steel and rigid steel. Spiral steel in the seams where I need a bit of movement, as it is flexible in more than one direction, and a rigid steel in the side/back seams, to provide structure.

I used the Past Patterns #106: 1901-1908 "Straight-Fronted" Edwardian Corset pattern, and put boning on the seams.

Inside view: here you can see the ribbon I used for finishing.
I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, actually. Apparently it's very neat for a first one, but I do take a lot of pleasure in making things neat!

Inside view of the bust dart, and busk.
Front view.
Better view of the inside, and lacing.
Now, to make the rest of the outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts!