Friday 23 May 2014

Feathers, bonnets, and 8tracks.

I haven't been doing an awful lot of work on my historical sewing lately, as I've been busy altering costumes for a show I'm performing in next month. Taking up hems here, adding panels there, the usual necessities when costuming amateur dramatics!

Now, something I tend to do when I've got to get through a lot of sewing, is listen to music.
I am a big music fan. Anything from classical to folk, from musicals to indie, my listening isn't limited to favourites. I'm often sat there with my headphones in, sewing (and sometimes singing) away. So, I thought it'd be a good a time as any to mention 8tracks. The website, that is...

Of the mixes I've done, this is my favourite. It gives you a little idea of the sort of things you can find.

It's basically somewhere people create playlists by uploading tracks of their choice, and you get to listen to them for free. It's all legal, as you are limited to the number of times you can skip tracks, and you don't know what's coming up next, and so on. But still, it's a small price to pay! You can find all sorts on there; period drama soundtracks, 1920's dance tracks, playlists that make you feel like you're striding down a road wearing shades with explosions going off behind you. All sorts.

And another thing I like about it, is that you can find people with similar music tastes to you, and look to see what they're listening to, and discover new music, or indulge in your favourite genres. It's pretty cool.

I have made some progress with my spencer jacket, meaning I've just the collar left to fiddle about with, and have finally decided what colour to trim it with! As it's a sort of beige-y woven fabric, my first thought was black, but, as I thought about it, I settled on navy blue. My reason being, is that I'm finally getting round to trimming a bonnet that I started a good few months back, and I can then get the beginnings of an outfit together.

Feathers! This was before I'd had a play and curled them. The cockade was also loosely pinned to get an idea of the final trim.
I realise I'm going about this all in the complete wrong order, as I don't even have a complete set of underwear, but, ah well. I'm eager to get going, and as I've mentioned before, if I don't have the necessary materials, it can take a little while to get things done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts!